Sunday, November 16, 2008

In the book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens, a self-help book, Sean Covey writes about what it means to be proactive. Now, I would love to say that I follow the virtues of a proactive person; some being that you are not easily offended, you take responsibility for your choices, and think before you act. Unfortunately, I tend to focus on the negative, on the things I can not change.
For example; I was in a hurry to get to school, running behind and very worried that I was going to be late, when a suburban whipped out in front of me and then slowed down to a speed that was twenty miles below the speed limit. Now, my first reaction was to roll down my window and tell them to move it!
Thankfully, the words of Sean Covey about being proactive came to my mind, and I reassessed the situation. I could yell at the driver and ride his bumper, or I could be proactive and shake it off, not letting it bother me.
I choose to be proactive...which I can't tell you how much better it made me feel to do the right thing. Right then, I decided to implicate Sean Covey's proactive principal throughout all of the other infuriating situations in my life. I advise you, my readers, to read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens, because its unassailable advice gives you the wisdom to become a better, more grounded person.

No comments: