Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Is Sci-Fi a 'Superior' Genre?

When the "Science Fiction" genre comes to mind, I can't help thinking of cheesy B-rated movies. The kinds that cause a person to groan, sigh, or make other general noises of annoyance. Please, do not judge this genre as I have continually done in the past. I am an avid book-reader, but I have never really focus on the genres that I read. Now that I have had the 'light bulb' turned on, I not only realize that I love the 'Sci-Fi' genre, but that I read books placed under its mysterious genus all the time! Take for example the very popular "Twilight Saga" by Stephenie Meyer. It is placed in the 'Sci-Fi' genre as the classic hero/heroine/monsters & myths story. Don't get me wrong, the 'Twilight Saga' has nothing to do with the traditional, evil look on vampires, but is most defiantly 'Science Fiction'. Yet, it is one of the most renowned series of its time. It is not judged as a stereotypical 'Planet of the Apes' fluke gone wrong, but as highly sought-after pieces of literature.
I will conclude with this thought. Please, don't condemn all Science Fiction genres as B-rated, because you never know what kinds of movies or books under its title may catch your eye and hold you.

No comments: